Tuesday, October 8, 2013

British Ceramics Biennial

On Tuesday I went to the British Ceramics Biennial with Olivia and Mollie. I was really impressed with all the work there and found it was a very inspiring exhibition which demonstrated many possibilities of new ways to work in ceramics.

A few of my favourite works were:


Hothouse by Miche Follano, I was really impressed by Follano’s work and loved how small and intricate the vessels she created were and also the way she had experimented with mixing ceramics and metal by putting items such as nails though the clay and melting them in the kiln. In this project I would also like to experiment with finding ways to combine metal and clay and found her work very inspiring.





I admired  Luke Bishop's use of colour, his experimentation with mixed media, for example wrapping items such as elastic bands round his vessels, the unusual forms of his pieces and the eccentricity of his work. Bishop has inspired me to be more adventurous with my ideas in ceramics and has inspired me yet again to work in mixed media.





 


I also really liked and admired the quality of Grant Mc Caig’s work and the way he has combined wood, which often had a previous purpose, for example the old handle of a paintbrush, and then gave it a new purpose. I really liked the contrast between the old and battered wood and the new and delicate silver. His work has inspired me to experiment in wood as well as in ceramics and metal.



Finally I was also inspired by Annie Jones's work and the concept of her pieces degenerating over time and therefore changing. I feel her work is relevant to my new project as I am planning to explore using elements to change the pieces I create over time.

 



 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment