Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Museum of Science and Industry

I visited the Museum of Science and Industry on Thursday as I decided that for this new project I would like to focus on the industrial revolution in Manchester. I have always wanted to find out more about it and I really love the city's industrial buildings. The main things that I found that inspired me in the museum was the history about Manchester's cotton mills, the industrial machines and a few items I found in the museum’s collection.

Therefore I feel I would like to explore in this project so far how I could incorporate the history of Manchester’s cotton mills into my work and also I was fascinated by the mechanical movements of the machines I saw and I really liked the metallic, heavy and clunky sounds they produced. I would also like to experiment with using movement in my work, be this by creating kinetic sculptures or using movement somehow to change pieces I create over time, for example; using a machine to splash paint onto my work or acid onto metal?

Here are some research photos and videos I took of the machines in the museum. 







I also was inspired by these objects I found in the museum’s collection and feel their unusual forms may inspire my work in this project.


No comments:

Post a Comment